Pool & Spa Product Safety
Pool chemicals can be harmful if the proper care is not taken. Contamination or improper use of these chemicals may cause a fire, explosion or the release of toxic gases. Read and follow all labels correctly.
- Read product labels and follow the directions on the label.
- Wear proper safety equipment when handling chemicals including gloves, goggles, long sleeves, pants and any other items as directed on labels.
- Store your chemicals in a cool, dry, well-ventilated place.
- Keep your chemicals tightly covered when not in use.
- Store liquids upright.
- Follow directions on label when adding chemicals to your pool.
- Add pool chemicals directly to your pool.
- Isolate spilled chemicals and read and follow directions for cleanup and disposal.
- Thoroughly clean and dry product containers prior to disposal.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after handling chemicals.
- Allow pool chemicals to come into contact with your skin, eyes or mouth.
- Inhale or ingest pool chemicals.
- Store chemicals in a place where they can be accessed by children or pets.
- Store chemicals in a place where they can be contaminated by any other material. They can react with other materials, including other pool chemicals, to cause a fire, explosion or release of toxic gases.
- Add water to pool chemicals or expose them to small amounts of water. They can react violently to produce heat and toxic gases.
- Mix different chemicals or allow any pool chemical to come into contact with other pool chemicals or any other materials.
- Pre-mix or pre-dissolve pool chemicals before adding them to your pool.
- Smoke, grill or allow any open flame near stored chemicals.
- Put spilled product back into container as doing so will contaminate the rest of the product.
- Dispose of spilled product container without reading product label for directions.
- Dispose of spilled product by pouring into trash or drain.